Even though I say that I don’t make new year’s resolutions, I have actually made a mental list of a few things I’m going to try to make differently this year. Firstly due to my working hours increasing by 30 min every day, I need to get into the office earlier (leaving later is not an option due to the kids) – hence I’m attempting to get to bed by 9:30 and up by 6am every morning. So far I’ve done it for a whole two days and it’s working very well ;) Let’s see what I say about that in a month or two but maybe by then it’s already become a habit??
The activity that chews up my time in the evenings after 8pm is cooking food for the next day, so from now on my free days, Wednesdays, will include a lot more cooking so that none of it has to be done on Thursday and Friday night. On weekends it’s MrB who usually cooks the dinners for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. That means it’s only Tuesday night that the kids will have to eat pasta with ketchup (my mother who picks them up from school and feeds them dinner does not cook anything beyond pasta or scrambled eggs, I don’t hold it against her and I will probably ‘allow’ myself the same luxury when I’m over 60 as I really don’t enjoy cooking in the traditional sense).
Other than that, I will attempt:
– Prepare most of the boys’ lunches the night before (if only boy nr 2 would start eating sandwiches!)
– Get my working clothes ready the night before
– Blow dry my hair on my one rest day (so that I don’t have a ponytail on at least one working day)
– Not pick on my cuticles/fingernails and paint them as often as possible to deter me from doing so
– Get a facial once a month (ever since last year sometime I’m really seeing my face age and despite the happy slogans of “age is just a number”, etc., the change in my appearance is a bit scary for me)
– Not snack (so much) in the evenings
Healthy eating and exercise of course is part of my life as well but that routine is so strongly cemented in my life I don’t have to make any resolutions about that, maybe just to stick with stretching like I have been so far in 2014.
And about that new house, well, the renovation that tested all of our patience for over half of 2013 is finished now but what’s missing is: many essential pieces of furniture, all curtains and blinds, photos and prints from walls, etc. At the moment we’re oiling the floors bit by bit and trying to make more order in the chaos that is boxes due to lack of furniture/storage, but it’ll be a slow progress as Rule Nr.1 for 2014 is to get to bed by 9:20!
Are you a resolution maker?